We’re back from our summer break! And, don’t miss next week’s episode because we will be announcing an exciting change to the podcast!
Now, back to this episode! Most students around the country are headed back to school or have already started classes. And, these students probably voiced a common question before heading back: “Why?” Or, “Why do I have to go to school?” This question may have seemed juvenile at the time, but maybe it’s not.
In the midst of the busyness of packing lunches, buying clothes and hustling kids out the door, we, as a society, can forget to evaluate the purpose and goals of this grand and expensive project called education.
I don’t know about you, but making educational choices for my kids scares me. I am preparing my kids for a time I will (probably) never see and a future that I do not fully understand. No sweat, right!
This is why it is important to listen to the Old Testament prophet Jeremiah. In Jeremiah 9:23-26, this preacher shares some instructions about education from none other than God himself! And, it just so happens that the same lesson was echoed by astronaut Buzz Aldrin while taking communion on the moon! So, in this episode, we work through three reminders about education for us and for the kids as a new school years begins.
- I explain how and why I failed show and tell (I promise that no insects or animals were intentionally harmed, but I cannot guarantee that they survived the experience)
- 5 different options for or goals of education
- 5 developments that complicate education for Christian parents
- An in-depth look at Apollo 11 and why the lessons from that mission apply today
- “The end then of learning is to repair the ruins of our first parents by regaining to know God aright.” -John Milton
- My rumination on why rulers used to have razor-sharp edges (at least that was my experience)!
- The important truth echoed by a somber prophet and a star-struck astronaut: remember your Ruler.